6.24.2008

Wireless voices

Perhaps I mentioned, in my posting about The Rainbow, that I was listening to part of the book on my iPod?

Several weeks ago I searched for a copy of Lawrence's work on LibriVox, after admitting to myself that I was unlikely to crack open the 500-page, dusty paperback version of the novel that had been lying on my bottom shelf ever since I encountered it in a second-hand bookstore in Maine last summer.

On LibriVox, I happened to stumble upon a quite wonderful reader whose comfortable voice suggested that she may have been an elementary-school librarian in another life. (Listening to her, it amused me to think of my elementary school librarian reading some of the more salacious scenes from the novel.) Alas, such quality is not always the case with LibriVox, I have since learned -- I'm afraid that I may never read Dostoyevsky's Notes from the Underground because I was so put-off by the exaggerated tone of that particular reader!

In any case, tonight I was delighted to read an article in Reason Magazine about the origins of LibriVox which mentioned that the site was inspired, in part, by a very good rendering of Lady Chatterly's Lover that a New York sound artist was podcasting back in 2005. So, it was Lawrence's work that lay at the back of the movement! And with good reason, too -- I'm planning to make short work of the rest of the D.H. Lawrence currently available on LibriVox, if I'm not distracted first by this version of Ulysses (which I am embarrassed to admit that I have never read in its entirety) or a similar site that offers bedtime stories by a mysterious woman named Miette.

What do you think I should listen to next?

1 comment:

Victoria said...

What a truly lovely blog. I'm glad I stumbled upon you in a comment on Orangette. I, too, love to rise early! It's my own secret time of the day before everything else starts.